Newark Little League - Guide to tryouts
Before tryouts start:
- Prior to arriving to player evaluations (tryouts), please have your player(s) completely registered online at www.newarkcalittleleague.com. Registration process can take 10-15 minutes. Please do it at home beforehand.
- Arrive at field and check-in with our Board 30 minutes before your child is scheduled tryout session. Click here for tryout schedule based on age. Your child league age is not how old they are now, but how old they will be on August 31, 2020. For example, if they are 8 years old on the day of tryouts, but turn 9 before Aug 31, they tryout with the 9 year olds. Click here for league age chart.
- At check-in, your player will receive a numbered label that will be placed on their upper body, so they can be identified by managers and player agent committee.
What to bring: Players should bring the following gear to tryouts:
- Baseball glove/mitt (preferably broken in)
- Baseball hat/cap
- Warm clothes they can run around in
- Baseball cleats are recommended, however tennis shoes will do
- Baseball bag to keep their gear in
- The league will provide baseball bat and helmet if you don’t have any.
-EACH PLAYER (INCLUDING MAJOR PROPERTY PLAYERS) MUST ATTEND AT LEAST ONE TRYOUT SESSION: JAN 4 OR 11.
-PLAYERS ARE ALLOWED TO ATTEND BOTH SESSION (OPTIONAL)
During tryouts: During tryouts for league ages 6-12, your player will go through a number of drills so their skills can be assessed by managers and the player agent committee. Players skills will be evaluated so they are drafted/placed in the right division level of play. Here are the drills your player will participate in:
Drills for Intermediate tryouts will be determined and organized by the Intermediate manager(s).
- Warm up
- Play catch and toss back
- Fielding ground balls at 3rd base and SS; throw to 1st. (Ages 8+)
- Ages 6 and 7 take ground balls at SS and 2nd base.
- For ages 8+, next they take fly and ground balls to left field and throw into 2nd base
- Batting practice
- After the last swing during batting practice, player will run to 2nd base (round 1st)
- Player is dismissed
After tryouts the league will prepare for the draft. Major and minor managers will take what they have observed, “score” players, and use this to help draft players round-by-round. The Major division draft will occur first. Afterwards, all remaining players age-eligible for the Minor division that were not drafted into the Major division will enter the Minor draft. After the Minor draft, all remaining players age-eligible for the Farm division that were not drafted into the Minor division will be divided up equally by the player agent committee to create competitively-balanced teams at the Farm division. The Major and Minor drafts are tentatively scheduled for Saturday January 18th. Time is TBD. The Farm teams will be assigned shortly afterwards.
The Intermediate division will hold additional workouts after these initial tryout sessions. Intermediate team(s) will be drafted in late January. Date/time TBD.
Managers at the Major, and Minor division will contact parents of their players shortly after the draft. Parents of players who are assigned to the Farm division will be contacted by their manager shortly after the player agent committee gives them their team roster.
For any questions, please email [email protected].
Tryout schedule by age - Saturday Jan 4 and 11 (Jan 18 will be added if a tryout session is rained out)
6 and 7
8:30 - 9:30am
9:30 - 11am
11 - 12:30pm
1 - 2:30pm
11 and 12
2:30 - 3:30pm
Postponed to later date
Last updated: 1/3/20